4.30.2010

My Own Michael Phelps~

5:15 – I realize immediately from the vibration of Keri's nightstand that this was an earlier wake-up time than I had anticipated. My night lying in bed watching reruns of Law and Order SVU was already cursing my ability to surprise Keri with my guest appearance in the pool this morning. Nonetheless, I dart out of bed, turn on the light and say encouraging morning pleasantries to Keri like "where the heck do we keep the beach towels in this house?" and "where are those professional lifeguard swimshorts Jeremy forgot at our house? I want to look the part today." We evidently don't own those beach towels and Keri says it's tacky and embarrassing to try to match the life guards when you don't even know how to swim - and I don't (still wore the shorts though).

We promptly dodge Georgia, the fearless Aussie who was evidently convinced that we got up early to play with her and her half-eaten mallard toy. Off we go, speeding towards the gym. The parking lot is packed, yet Keri manoeuvres us to an open spot and informs me we are there for business this morning. 92 laps in less than one hour. What did I volunteer for?

5:40 – we sprint inside and pay the 10 dollar day pass for me (seems a little steep; but any price is a steal in order to support my wife ;-)). As luck would have it, we are stuck in the kids pool again and have to share the only available lane left in the entire KROC Center. Poor Keri, with my skill-level, I would require two lanes to zig zag up and down the pool. Anywho, I stretch for 5 minutes and try to study the other swimmers for last-second techniques and pointers. Keri immerses herself in the water and begins to lightly tread, warming up.

5:42 – Keri darts off, swimming strongly and confidently, carving up water and working on her breathing and rhythm. I say a quick prayer that I don't drown or run into Keri or do both, and I'm off too. Just as an aside, despite Mom and Dad being licensed lifeguards, and the fact we Murphy children have always been strong in certain sports, somehow swimming, basketball and snow sports have always greatly eluded us. I quickly remember why. Despite matching the lifeguards in apparel (literally the same shorts), my form mostly resembles what a deer that had fallen into the deep end would resemble: knees, elbows and head bobbing, lunging more than gliding and probably consistently using 50% more energy than necessary to swim. I probably displaced more water in one lap than my graceful wife did all morning. While I swam in one direction resembling a water tornado, Keri strategically and artfully glides thru the water moving in the other direction. She - a thing of beauty, me - resembling an angry butcher trying to beat the water into submission.

I was promised that we would take periodic breaks. And after our first 15 or 20 laps, I stopped Keri and told her it must be getting close to 6:35; we should really think about getting out of the pool. Keri checked her watch and said, “Will, it isn’t 6 yet.” I should have known; time evidently stands still when you are swimming. Keri doesn’t ever quit something that she starts, and seemed to breeze through this morning’s workout without ever considering quitting a little early, much to my chagrin. However, I really admired that trait this morning. On the other side of the spectrum, I probably consumed 2 litres of chlorinated water by the time this morning was complete. I have to give it up to Keri and Julie – swimming for that long takes a lot of mental stamina and is a heck of a workout, and now you turn around and bike an hour and a half tonight??? I really respect that!

Regretfully, I wouldn’t say that my presence provided any pragmatic benefit to my beautiful wife, however I know how much it must ease the pain of this daunting task to have someone who cherishes her by her side. Hopefully that plus the Michael-Phelps-esque summersault-kick manoeuvre I showed her during our first break will be of later benefit. Only time will tell. Way to go Keri, you are an inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome. Will you are a great guest blogger. I only wish you had pictures!

    ReplyDelete